The seal of the Austrian Service Abroad
The seal symbolically summarizes the self-understanding of the Austrian Service Abroad.
It consists of the following cornerstones:
- A global view. The Austrian Service Abroad is interested in the whole world. This encapsulates all countries and political systems as well as every language, culture, religion and society.
- The key concepts of MEMORIA, MISERICORDIA & PAX reflect the dimensions of past, present and future for which the Austrian Service Abroad assumes responsibility.
- MEMORIA: remembrance. The Austrian Service Abroad takes interest in and deals with history. The emphasis hereby lies upon the time of National Socialism, Holocaust education and the remembrance of the victims of the shoah. This concept is embodied by the Gedenkdienst – the service for the remembrance of National Socialism and the commemoration of its victims.
- MISERICORDIA: mercy. The Austrian Service Abroad aims at a more humane world and supports vulnerable social groups and people in need. Mercy means both compassion as well as concrete help where needed. This assistance also extends to the economic development of communities as well as environmental protection. This concept is embodied by the Social Service.
- PAX: peace. The Austrian Service Abroad invests in a peaceful future of the world. The lessons from history serve as an orientation for forming a peaceful future. The Austrian Service Abroad supports peace initiatives, peace education, reconciliation programs and the remembrance of atrocities other than the Holocaust. The concept is embodied through the Peace Service.
- 9 stars: the 9 areas. The world is geographically divided into 9 areas, which are represented on the seal via the 9 stars. These areas are an internal organisational structure of the Austrian Service Abroad. The areas are:
- South America
- Central America
- North America
- Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- East Asia – Oceania
- South Asia
- The flag of Austria: The Austrian Service Abroad supports the Republic of Austria and serves its interests and reputation.
- The flag of the European Union: The Austrian Service Abroad supports the European Union and serves its interests and reputation.
- The exterior multi-lingual ring “remembrance-mercy-peace”: The Austrian Service Abroad identifies and supports the cultural diversity of the world.
- M C M X C V I I I: The Latin number for 1998 – the founding year of the Austrian Service Abroad.